A good style tip goes a long way and those in the know have some important words to live by when it comes to getting dressed. Take a leaf from my book of style and keep these words close by when you are feeling stuck in a style rut.
1. Looking truly sexy involves knowing what to bare-and what to keep under wraps. Otherwise, where's the mystery? "Choose one-only one-body part and show it off - if it's cleavage, don't show your legs. If it's your legs, stay covered on top."
2. "The biggest mistake women make is wearing pants that aren't the right length for their shoes," says stylist Kate Young. To fix this, hem to either flats or heels like —no going back. Generally, hems should just graze the tops of your shoes and be from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch off the floor
3. “Once you know which silhouettes flatter you, filter trends ruthlessly. For instance, if you're petite and shapely, it's best to avoid tall columns and billowy maxis even if you love them. Go for a dress with a defined waist and just-above-the-knee hem”
4. “Always take one ‘it's cute but so not me’ thing into the fitting room. You never know!”
5. “Matched to your skin tone, they're a pretty safe bet. (And they make legs look longer”
6. "Striped pieces are a nice, classic way to pull yourself together for the weekend. A red- or navy-and-white bateau neck, for instance, has presence and versatility”
7. "Outerwear should never be an afterthought," says Holmes amp Yang co-designer Jeanne Yang. "So many people only see you in your coat—if you're not wearing something great underneath your trench, they'll never even know!" Look for a stylish coat!
8. “Combining colors, scale, and patterns in a way that looks dynamic takes practice, but there are some basic tricks to getting it right. You can wear two prints that repeat the same colors or mix a large-scale pattern with a smaller one. What's even easier is to use the second motif as an accent”
9. “You should already have your go-to tailored jacket. But a wardrobe of less formal toppers will help you look pulled together even on casual days. Opt for a leather jacket with wool trousers, a jean version over a silk shirt, or-stylists' favorite!-an army jacket over just about anything.”
10. ”Hit the dressing room prepared. If you're shopping for that ultra-important dress, get a true feel for the fit by bringing your Spanx with you. And while you're at it, bring heels, lipstick, and a hairbrush. These will help you get a better sense of the final result.”